Google
 

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Reduce Your Stress Level

Successful traders have to find ways to reduce the stress commonly associated with trading. I reconstructed my trading style after experiencing more stress than I had thought I could ever handle. In a typical trading day with the S&P 500 (Standard & Poor’s 500 Index, which represents the 500 largest companies in the United States), I found myself buying close to the high of the day. Immediately the market started to tumble so fast that I was down 100 points even before I got my buy filled (i.e., before my order was executed). I finally was able to regain my composure just enough to pick up the phone in a panic to sell as fast as possible. By then the market had tumbled almost 200 points. Worst of all, I had purchased too many contracts for the money I had in my account; and, to top it all off, it was my first trade ever in the S&P.
That was the point in my trading career that I experienced the panic and stress of losing more than 40 percent of my account in three minutes— more than one month’s pay as an accountant. I did not trade again for more than two months while I tried to figure out whether I could really
do this for a living. Luckily, I did start trading again; however, I reduced my trading size to one contract position at a time for more than a year.
Many professional floor traders and off-floor traders have had similar experiences. However, these kinds of stressful events must be overcome and used as lessons that needed to be learned. Simply put, stress produces incomplete knowledge access. Stress, by its nature, causes humans to become tense in not only their physical being but also their mental state. For years, physicians have made the public aware that stress can lead to many illnesses including hardening of the arteries with the possibility of a heart attack or other ailments. Reducing stress
can lead to bigger rewards and can be accomplished by building a lowstress trading plan.
To create your own plan, follow this three-point outline:
1. Define your risk.
2. Develop a flexible investment plan.
3. Build your knowledge base systematically.

No comments: